
BARCELONA (Reuters) - Uefa proposals to change part of the Champions League format would be "catastrophic" for soccer but Fifa's plans to overhaul the Club World Cup will be a boon for the sport, LaLiga president Javier Tebas told Reuters on Thursday (March 14).
Tebas lashed out at changes he said Europe's governing body is considering making to the Champions League, saying they would damage domestic competitions.
Accusing Uefa and the European Club Association (ECA) of plotting in secret, Tebas said the body wanted to play European games on weekends rather than in mid-week and expand the group stage to four groups of eight teams, rather than the current format of eight groups of four sides.
"Uefa and the ECA are negotiating behind closed doors so that the others don't know about the reforms which put national leagues in danger," said Tebas in an exclusive interview to Reuters.
"They are making reforms to the Champions League which are very dangerous for football. It's a model which is very damaging for national leagues and also for them, as they don't understand business."
Uefa did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Tebas earlier this year made headlines for attempting to switch a LaLiga game between Barcelona and Girona to Miami, a move which was opposed by Fifa.
While he remains committed to taking domestic league games abroad to widen LaLiga's global appeal, Tebas said his priority was stopping Uefa's proposed changes.
"Playing a game in Miami is much less important to LaLiga than the catastrophic reforms of Uefa and the ECA," he said.
"Fifa has been transparent in the last few weeks and changed its position so we support them (in their Club World Cup plans), meanwhile Uefa and ECA are doing the opposite and we are very worried about that and don't support them."
Fifa's ruling council meets on Friday in Miami to discuss and vote on president Gianni Infantino's plans for the revamped Club World Cup, which would take place in 2021, replacing the Confederations Cup.
The new-look competition would see 24 teams taking part instead of the current, annual tournament between six continental champions and an invited team, which has been dominated by the winners of the Champions League since 2013.
Tebas initially opposed Infantino's plan for an annual, expanded Club World Cup, calling it "irresponsible" last year. But he said the Spanish league and other major European leagues have radically shifted their position on it.
"In the last year Fifa has made some changes and we are on the path to a good Club World Cup which fits well into the calendar and can be supported by national leagues," Tebas said.
"It still needs to be polished but they are discussing distributing the money more evenly to smaller leagues and that's very important. Fifa have also been more transparent about it.
"They've also committed to playing it every four years which affects national leagues a lot less."
The proposed shake up to the tournament has been rejected by Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin and the ECA chief Andrea Agnelli, who is also the chairman of Juventus.
The Fifa council in Miami will also explore the possibility of expanding the 2022 World Cup in Qatar from 32 to 48 teams, which could see the number of host countries also increase.
The tournament will take place between November and December rather than the traditional slot of June and July due to Qatar's scorching summer temperatures, which is set to disrupt domestic leagues across Europe and around the world.
"We always opposed the change of the dates and now LaLiga is preparing ourselves for the break in the season," Tebas said.
"We also must decide what we do with all the players that are not going to the World Cup, of which there are many, not just in Spain but around the world and who didn't figure in decisions like this.
"We'll have to wait and see what Fifa decides but in principle, we at the Spanish league are not in favour of increasing the number of teams at the Qatar World Cup or any World Cup."
Sterling honoured with award for fighting racism. Manchester City's England forward Raheem Sterling has been awarded The Integrity and Impact Award at this year's BT Sport Industry Awards
England's Sterling honoured with award for fighting racism
Not just the people at Groningen. Every big club in Holland. Ajax's run to the 2017 Europa League final and to the Champions League semi's this year saw a clutch of young stars come to the
Justin Kluivert: The Ajax kid who will be king - goal.com
Defoe has joined Rangers on loan But has now snapped up the 36-year-old - who has been allowed to leave Bournemouth in search of first-team football. The deal includes two recall options in summer
Rangers 'agree loan deal' to sign Jermain Defoe from Bournemouth
ROME (AFP) - Bologna coach Sinisa Mihajlovic hailed his team for pulling off a "miracle" to secure their top flight survival with a 3-3 draw at Lazio on Monday (May 20) enough to keep the northerners in Serie A next season.
Bologna earn 'miracle' Serie A survival in six-goal Lazio
Bet on Albirex Niigatas [SIN] vs Brunei DPMM on 24 May 2019! Place your online sports bet on Singapore - Premier League and get the best Football odds in India!
Albirex Niigata S vs DPMM H2H Stats - SoccerPunter.com
Lucas Moura, from PSG cast-off to Tottenham idol AFP May 8, 2019, 11:03 PM UTC "Super-hero": Lucas stole the show as Tottenham pulled off a miraculous comeback to beat Ajax
Lucas Moura: From PSG cast-off to Tottenham idol - Daily Nation
A solid win for the Blues. Emerson - 6.5: Decent game, but had a hard time against Ryan Sessegnon. Ranieri's exit was the last nail in the coffin for Fulham.
Barcelona striker Luis Suarez said his side "looked like schoolboys" for Liverpool's winning goal in the Champions League semi-final second leg.
'We looked like schoolboys', says Suarez after Barca crumble
Bayern Munich star Thomas Muller has expressed his anger following Germany manager Joachim Low's decision to axe both him and two of his World Cup winning team-mates from the national team.
World Cup winner Thomas Muller blasts Loew for 'bad taste
Sarri hails stars of future as Chelsea young guns torment Brighton Michael Robinson April 4, 2019 0 Maurizio Sarri hailed Callum Hudson-Odoi and Ruben Loftus-Cheek as the future of Chelsea after the young guns inspired a crucial 3-0 win over Brighton on Wednesday.
Chelsea boss Sarri hails Mourinho's 'human quality'
Lionel Messi is back but Lionel Scaloni's Copa squad is littered with new faces. Messi the one constant in a much-changed Argentina squad for Copa America and he has surely played a key
Lionel Messi in 2018: Another underrated year for the little
Football News -The challenge is different for Liverpool. New favourites Liverpool face two stiff tests of title credentials have the burden of being branded favourites in an English
Latest JURGEN KLOPP | The Straits Times
When Malaysia last faced Vietnam in the knockout stages, they won 5-4 on aggregate in the two-leg semi-final of the 2014 AFF Suzuki Cup. In the first leg of the AFF Suzuki Cup final at the
Tamil Play News from Malaysia, Latest Tamil Play News from
news.trendingnews.co.in/malaysia/tamil-play
Get the Tamil Play News from Malaysia, Latest Tamil Play News from Malaysia, Trending Tamil Play News from Malaysia, Current Tamil Play News From Malaysia on trendingnews.co.in. Grab exclusive coverage on breaking national news, current politics, regional and educational news with trending now, most popular from Malaysia.
Jakarta Casual: October 2008
Grief In Sevilla As Former Star Jose Antonio Reyes Killed In
Everton drop to fifth after Liverpool's 2-0 win against Hull City at Anfield, but Baines still feels the Toffees are in good shape at the start of the new year.
Everton vs Swansea: Instant Reaction | Easy in the end for
0 comments:
Post a Comment