Pages

Ole: Alexis can be United asset

Ole: Alexis can be United asset
LONDON • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes that Manchester United supporters will finally see the best of Alexis Sanchez because of the freedom that he has given his players since the sacking of Jose Mourinho.
The United interim manager confirmed that the forward, who has not played since injuring a hamstring in November, is in line to make his first appearance in today's Premier League trip to Newcastle.
Sanchez has been determined to make a mark under the new manager and it was reported that he urged Solskjaer to pick him for the 4-1 win over Bournemouth on Sunday, even though the club's medical staff had not cleared him for a return to action.
"He's had some great training sessions the last few days," the Norwegian said. "He wanted to (play against Bournemouth) but we have to manage him, he's been out for a month. But he'll be involved against Newcastle.
"He wants to play all the time, he's one of those characters. He made himself available but it was a few days too early for him. He has not had enough fitness but he's looking forward to it."
Sanchez has had a miserable time during his first 12 months at the club. The former Arsenal striker, who earns in excess of £350,000 (S$607,000) per week, has scored only one goal in 10 league games this season.
Alexis Sanchez warming up before the league match against Newcastle in October. He was out injured for the whole of last month. PHOTO: REUTERS


The 30-year-old became so disheartened with life under the defensive-minded Mourinho that he was considering leaving for Paris Saint-Germain this month, but Solskjaer's arrival has given everyone at United a clean slate.
Paul Pogba has benefited from the attacking philosophy that Solskjaer has installed by scoring four goals in his last two games, and the hope among the club's hierarchy is that Sanchez will also enjoy a renaissance.
"He's a player that would benefit from the interchanging, the rotation, the movement," Solskjaer added. "The more times you get the ball into the final third, the more chances you create, and he'll be an asset."
Given that United have scored 12 goals in three wins in Solskjaer's first three games, it seems unlikely that Sanchez will walk straight back into the side.
He is more likely to start on the bench, with Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard continuing to support Marcus Rashford in attack.



Sanchez will also face competition from Romelu Lukaku. The Belgian, who scored only six goals in 16 league games under Mourinho, netted within two minutes after coming on as a substitute against Bournemouth on Sunday.
Praised for his attacking philosophy so far, former United striker Solskjaer insisted he is only implementing what he learnt for 11 seasons as a player under Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford.
The 77-year-old Scot paid a visit to the players and coaching staff, which includes one of his former assistants Mike Phelan, at United's Carrington training ground on Saturday.
''He enjoyed his time at the training ground, we had a nice few chats and he encouraged us,'' Solskjaer said.
''He knows we are Man United through and through and we want to do whatever we can, as best as we can, up to the last second we are here.''
THE TIMES, LONDON, THE GUARDIAN, REUTERS


  • 67




  • Premier League games out of 99 in January that Manchester United have won - 15 more than any other team have managed.


NEWCASTLE V MAN UNITED
Singtel TV Ch102 & StarHub Ch227, tomorrow, 4am.
Â


JURGEN KLOPP News - Find latest News & top stories about JURGEN KLOPP. Get more information about JURGEN KLOPP at straitstimes.com. Klopp not falling for title talk trap. Dec 31, 2018, 5:00 am
Liverpool's Klopp avoids title talk despite Arsenal rout


Liverpool: Jurgen Klopp outlines what Reds must do to win silverware after setback hands Man City advantage in title race. The German also rejected the idea he did not attack enough in search of
Praise for Liverpool's best recent player as Jurgen Klopp


Sports Rescuers 'fear the worst' in search for footballer Emiliano Sala and missing plane. A player who had just become Premier League side Cardiff City's record transfer was on a plane that went


Mesut Ozil will return to the Arsenal squad for Saturday's Premier League visit of Burnley, with manager Unai Emery saying he believes the midfielder has a future at the Emirates Stadium.
Unai Emery says Mesut Ozil has a future at Arsenal | Football


REIMS, France, June 8 (Reuters) - Ada Hegerberg was not needed as Norway kicked off their women's World Cup Group A campaign with a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Nigeria on Saturday.
Soccer: Hegerberg-less Norway canter past Nigeria - Edge Page


LONDON • Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp insists that he is focusing solely on his team and nobody else. Read more at straitstimes.com. Reds must play own game: Klopp, Football News & Top Stories
Reds need to focus on their own games - Klopp | ClubCall.com


Pedro's crucial strike scrambled Chelsea a frenetic 1-1 Europa League semi-final first leg draw at Eintracht Frankfurt. The Spain forward's 12th strike of the season brought Blues parity in the
Eintracht Frankfurt vs Chelsea goals and highlights: Europa


LONDON • Mauricio Pochettino is shocked at receiving a two-game touchline ban and a £10,000 (S$17,800) fine for his conduct following the 2-1 Premier League defeat at Burnley last month.. Read
Tottenham's Mauricio Pochettino says touchline ban is


UEFA says anti-racism protocol not followed in Koulibaly case Date created : 28/12/2018 - 23:29 FIFPro and UEFA are "very concerned" that the Inter v Napoli match played on despite racist abuse
UEFA says anti-racism protocol not followed in Koulibaly case


A brisk run of form continued for the Red Devils as they huffed past Watford with a 2-1 win at Old Trafford on Saturday. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made quite a statement after being named as the full-time manager of Manchester United. This win has pushed the Red Devils into the top four with Arsenal itching to steal the spot.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at Paul Pogba change after Man Utd


Football: Wayne Rooney bags first MLS hat-trick in D.C. romp over Real Salt Lake D.C. United forward Wayne Rooney (left) shooting the ball past Real Salt Lake midfielder Kyle Beckerman during
Rooney bags first MLS hat trick in DC romp | Free Malaysia Today


Bologna players celebrate after scoring their side's first goal during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Lazio and Bologna at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome on May 20, 2019.
Bologna earn 'miracle' Serie A survival in six-goal Lazio


Jahanbakhsh on target as Iran ease past Oman into last eight Soccer Football - AFC Asian Cup - Round of 16 - Iran v Oman - Mohammed bin Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates - January
Jahanbakhsh on target as Iran ease past Oman into last eight


Uncategorized Ake strikes late to sink nine-man Spurs. Bournemouth (United Kingdom) (AFP) - Nine-man Tottenham Hotspur's bid for Champions League football was rocked on Saturday after Nathan Ake's last-gasp winner punished red cards for Son Heung-min and Juan Foyth and condemned Spurs to a 1-0 Premier League defeat at Bournemouth.
Nathan Ake strikes late to help Bournemouth sink nine-man

0 comments:

Post a Comment